DID YOU KNOW THAT DANDRUFF CAUSES HAIR FALL?
Having dandruff may stop you from wearing your favourite dark colours, and make you turn your head too often to check your shoulders for dandruff while sitting with friends. However, these inconveniences are not the worst thing to expect from dandruff, as it can be a sign of more serious issues with the scalp and hair, with the loss of hair being a one of those issues.
What you need to know about dandruff
Dandruff is a very common health condition. But in order for you to learn how to control and treat it, we selected here some of the most important facts that you need to know about dandruff:
1. What is dandruff? It’s small white flakes of dry or dead skin that are shed from the scalp, mostly seen on the top of the head, and they often end up falling on the shoulders. Dandruff can afflict all types of scalps, whether they’re oily, dry or normal
2. Is dandruff contagious? Dandruff is not a contagious condition that can be transmitted from one person to another. It’s time to put this myth to rest. The only reason that it appears on someone’s scalp is because of their own scalp conditions .
3. Is dandruff a sign of poor hygiene? You may have heard this before; in fact, dirty hair by itself does not cause dandruff, but the accumulation of fats and oils secreted by the scalp – along with failure to wash the hair for an extended period – may cause the upper layer of the scalp to be irritated and break into dandruff flakes. Though, it must be noted that excessive washing of the hair may not be the best treatment to your scalp condition.
4. What causes dandruff? Simply this is an inflammation of the scalp caused by the accumulation of excessive fats on oily scalps – which is a chronic condition that requires long-term care and treatment. Other temporary or passing causes for dandruff are the chemicals used in hair dyes coupled by dry scalps, especially in cold and dry weather, which lead to what is known as contact dermatitis. Both types of dandruff triggers can be treated by removing the causes
5. Does dandruff cause hair loss? The answer is sadly, yes. Despite that dandruff is a widespread condition, it is not to be taken lightly. Studies have shown that 80 per cent of those who have dandruff also suffer from hair fall – since dandruff can damage the scalp and weaken hair roots, and consequently causes the hair to fall and impairs the growth of new hair
Tips on how to treat dandruff and the accompanying hair loss
1. Look for active ingredients in shampoo: You would have already covered a long distance in your journey towards a dandruff-free hair by simply choosing a shampoo with the right ingredients. One of the most important of these ingredients is the antibacterial agent, Piroctone Olamine, which is used in Head & Shoulders to help eliminate the nuisance of dandruff, and rest your mind that you will not see hair fall due to dandruff in the tub every time you take a shower.
2. Follow a proper hair wash routine: Don’t wash your hair more often than you should, but on the other hand don’t wash it less than you should – to avoid accumulation of oil and fat. There is no golden rule on how often one should wash their hair. You have to decide for yourself because no-one knows the nature of your hair better than you. Just judge for yourself – if you feel it’s turning oily at a fast pace, wash it more often in order to avoid blockage of follicles and loss of hair
Dandruff can test your patience, but it can also be contained and treated easier than you may think. Above all, know the nature of your hair, and be gentle in how you treat it. You need to understand that when you have an oily scalp, it may be the product of genetics, lifestyle, the environment, or the interplay of hormones in your body. We should act within these limitations to improve the health of our scalp and hair; by following a hair care routine which keeps hair both clean and moisturised; and keep in mind that Head & Shoulders loves to nourish your hair and make it stronger, dense and full of vitality, while making dandruff and hair fall a memory from the past.
Lose the dandruff before you lose your hair! Use Head & Shoulders.
1- What Is Dandruff?, www.everydayhealth.com, Edited.
2- Is dandruff contagious?, https://ro.co/health-guide, Edited.
3- How Long Can You Go Without Washing Your Hair?, www.healthline.com, Edited.
4- Is there a link between dandruff and hair loss?, www.medicalnewstoday.com, Edited.